- Bindings and Purflings
- Body Joint Dovetail Mortise
- Bracing the Back Plate
- Charles Fox Side Bender
- Conoid Chair
- Electrical Upgrade
- End Graft
- Fitting the Back
- Fitting the Top
- Fleischman/Stevens Universal Binding Jig
- Free Downloads
- French Polishing
- Fusako's Table
- General Woodworking
- Gluing the Back Plate
- Gluing the Body
- Guitar Repair
- Headstock Veneer
- Heel Cap and Neck Glue-Up
- Kitchen Prep Table
- Light Box
- Making a bone Nut
- Martin Style Pyramid Bridge
- Neck Joint Jig
- Plate Glue-up
- Plate Templates
- Saddle Slot
- Shaping the Neck
- Side Bending
- The Fretboard
- Thicknessing and Rosette
- Trek 9.8 Decal Sets
- Wood Step Ladder
Category Archives: Light Box
One last thing I needed to do on the box I will keep for myself is to put some legs on it as I will not be hanging it on a wall. So today I made and attached some legs and inserted the slides.
The pictures were taken by my Grandfather while he was in India during the 1920′s. Unfortunately the vibrancy of the color in the slides does not photograph well. I can only tell you they look great.
This project is basically a done deal. Yesterday I screwed the frames on the front of the poly filter, cleaned up the base coat of shellac and then applied a coat of tung oil. The tung oil is just so nice as it makes the curly maple grain pop and the bubinga a brilliant red. And then today I thought I was finished but remembered one final thing that needed to be done. So back down to the workshop and finished in about an hour.
The finished box with the slide frame screwed to the front. Screwing it was really the only way to fix it and allow me to take it off if needed (after all there is a light fixture in it).
And that final thing that I forgot to do, well my wife was the one to remind me. On the back I attached a French cleat common in wall hanging cabinetry. This is a little heavy so a regular wall hanger probably won’t be enough. As well with a French cleat the box will hang flush to a flat wall.
Just waiting to deliver the box to my brothers and sister in Canada and we’ll put the glass slides in.
Got a lot of work done on these boxes today. Really though I am behind on things so they should have been done today; shellac finish and all. But I still have one more thing to do before I can finish them. I did however put one coat of shellac on them.
Today I started on the slide frames. Here is one with all the pieces.
Laying them out.
Gluing up the frames with some pinch clamps.
Little close up so you can see the rabbet cut to accept the slides.
The frames just need to be cleaned up.
I also got the back door hinged and made a small wood clasp.
After I put a coat of shellac on the box I screwed the poly filter into position.
Here are two side by side with light on and off.
Tomorrow I will screw the frames onto the boxes.
Currently it is quite hot here and the humidity is nearing 80% so it is not comfortable in the workshop. But I need to get these done before Sunday so I have been going down to the workshop every night after work. Over the last two nights I got the lids glued and cleaned up.
Run some painters tape along the edge before gluing to make cleanup easier.
Close up of the taped area.
Two boxes with the lids glued on. After glue-up just a little clean up is needed with my shoulder plane.
Two boxes cleaned up with the poly filter in place. I am not decided yet on how to fix the filter in place. I may use epoxy or I may use screws.
After the poly filter is installed I just have to make a frame for the slides.